About this Course
Welcome, Brave Girl!!
This is a jam-packed course full of techniques for making funky flowers using multiple media! Whether you've never drawn anything in your life, or you make art for a living, there is something here for you.
We’ll start with having a discussion with Melody about why she chose to feature flowers in this course. Sit down with Melody as she share a few ways that we, as beautiful women, are much like a beautiful flower. Plus, Melody will talk about how we can all bloom and thrive in the beautiful flower garden we surround ourselves with!
YOU CAN DRAW. Seriously, if you doubt your ability to learn this stuff, just start here. Melody starts at the very basics--the separate parts of various flowers. Let your inner little girl roam free and draw some flowers!!
Collaging is such a fun technique to use when making artwork as well. In this course, Melody will shares ways you can collage using paper, fabric, and whatever little embellishments you have lying around the house! Along the way, learn the basic techniques of collaging.
Plus, once you're done adding elements to your artwork, Melody will walk through some techniques for adding the final finishing touch of 'antiquing.' This will give your piece a beautiful, aged, patina sort of finish.
Finally, get ready for some serious inspiration! Follow along with Melody as she goes through over 40 techniques for adding texture to your artwork--and best of all, most of them can be done with basic supplies and odds and ends from around the house. Melody will make a brief little swatch of each texture to demonstrate.
Plus, as an added bonus, we have included a sweet technique Melody developed for adding wells of gel medium to your collages. Check it out!
About the instructor
I love being part of Brave Girls Club and sitting in this big worldwide circle of sisterhood....it has changed my life in all of the best ways. I am profoundly grateful for all of it, and I work hard to never take it for granted.
I'm an artist, teacher and entrepreneur. I have started and owned a few different companies and written many books. I have sold and licensed my art all around the world, which is what I had dreamed of doing since I was a little girl. In 2004, my husband sustained a traumatic brain injury which changed the direction of our lives dramatically and led me to my TRUE life's work.
Taking care of my husband and holding my family together while my business and the rest of my life fell apart all around me left me feeling broken in every way. I used art and journaling to heal the fragmented parts of my soul, and once I felt healed I wanted nothing more than to share what I had learned and how I had healed with my sisters all over the world. That's where Brave Girls Club came from...my curriculum is what I have used to heal myself and make my life joyful again.
I live in Star, Idaho where my husband and I have raised our 5 children. My husband made a miraculous full recovery which we consider a tremendous miracle that has prompted us to spend our life helping others out of the kinds of dark times we were in for so long. Our greatest treasure in life is our family, ...especially the grandchildren who have come to us! We plan to spend the rest of our lives doing more of what we are doing now....enjoying life, helping where we can, creating beauty, and spending as much time as possible with our beloveds...at home and all over the world. We appreciate every new day we are gifted with, and life is beautiful! So happy to be here with all of you!
You will need:
Below is a list of all the supplies that may be used in this class.
You certainly do NOT need to purchase all of these supplies to enjoy the course! This is simply a list of everything we used in our projects--you can mix and match whatever you have and make anything work. Just have fun!!
Funky Flowers Supplies
- One sketchbook. You will use this for writing, and collage so it needs to be sturdy. You’ll want 65lb - 80lb paper. Be sure it is sturdy enough that you can have fun with it!
- 11×14 canvas board Must be a canvas board, not a wall canvas.
- Black Pen – Zig Writer or Sharpie Fine Tip
- Pencil Just a regular old pencil
- Mod Podge or other collage adhesive. You’ll need matte or gloss. NOTE: we’ve found that gloss sometimes stays ‘tacky’ – especially in humid climates.
- Acrylic Paint in the following colors:pink, yellow, red, orange, turquoise, cobalt blue, light green, dark green, black, white (and any others you'd like to use for your flowers!)
- Heavy body paint in TWO of the above colors.You do not need all of these colors of heavy body paint!
- Variety of Paint Brushes INCLUDING one with a pointed fine tip, and one flat 1/2′′ brush (An inexpensive multipack will work fine)
- One Small Palette Knife
- Hot Glue & Glue Gun
- Modeling Paste (this can be expensive...see alternative below in #13)
- Super Heavy Gel Medium (this can be expensive...see alternative below in #13)
- Inexpensive Substitutes for Modeling Paste and Ultrathick Gel: caulking, joint compound, Spackle
- Scratching Tools toothpicks, clay tools, old paintbrushes, empty mechanical pencils...any of these will work.
- Fabric Scraps (4′′x4′′ or larger)
- Paper Scraps (4′′x4′′ or larger)
- Textured Items we will be using these to lay down layers of texture on your canvas. Any of these household items will work: paper towels, textured or embossed wallpapers, wrapping papers, paper napkins, crafting embellishments, embroidered or embellished parts of old clothing, greeting cards, tissue paper, etc.
What others are saying:
You must be logged in to leave a review.
Have questions about this class?
Send them to email@example.com.