About this Course
Kathy and Melody are here to share dozens of awesome ideas, instructions, tips, and tricks on everything from embroidery basics, to stuffed projects, and even big wing sculptures.
One of the coolest projects we've ever done is the Big Wings Sculpture! Melody will teach you how to make a giant pair of wings from some little hardware pieces called wood joining biscuits which you can find at any home improvement store. You just won't believe how stunning this Big Wings sculpture is, and she will walk you through every step.
Plus we’ll make some custom pillows! Kathy will walk through the simple steps of creating a beautiful piece featuring a stuffed heart with wings. Next we'll see Kathy demonstrate how to use an applique technique, some buttons, and other simple materials to make another beautiful pillow. Simple, and so so pretty!
We’ll finish up by making a sweet little wool cuff, embellished with embroidery elements. We'll share tons of ideas that you can adapt to your own beautiful projects! Come sit down at the Art Barn with us for some ideas and inspiration.
About the instructor
I love cooking but I'm not crazy about grocery shopping or doing dishes (sigh). I've live in Idaho less than 5 miles from where I was born, I've been married for 34 years, I am mother to 8 and Nana to 14. And every day I have the fun job of managing the business side of Brave Girls Club. That's me!
I love being part of Brave Girls Club and sitting in this big worldwide circle of sisterhood....it has changed my life in all of the best ways. I am profoundly grateful for all of it, and I work hard to never take it for granted.
I'm an artist, teacher and entrepreneur. I have started and owned a few different companies and written many books. I have sold and licensed my art all around the world, which is what I had dreamed of doing since I was a little girl. In 2004, my husband sustained a traumatic brain injury which changed the direction of our lives dramatically and led me to my TRUE life's work.
Taking care of my husband and holding my family together while my business and the rest of my life fell apart all around me left me feeling broken in every way. I used art and journaling to heal the fragmented parts of my soul, and once I felt healed I wanted nothing more than to share what I had learned and how I had healed with my sisters all over the world. That's where Brave Girls Club came from...my curriculum is what I have used to heal myself and make my life joyful again.
I live in Star, Idaho where my husband and I have raised our 5 children. My husband made a miraculous full recovery which we consider a tremendous miracle that has prompted us to spend our life helping others out of the kinds of dark times we were in for so long. Our greatest treasure in life is our family, ...especially the grandchildren who have come to us! We plan to spend the rest of our lives doing more of what we are doing now....enjoying life, helping where we can, creating beauty, and spending as much time as possible with our beloveds...at home and all over the world. We appreciate every new day we are gifted with, and life is beautiful! So happy to be here with all of you!
You will need:
Giant Wings Supplies
- 1 sheet of black 20”x30” foam core board (if you can’t find black, white will work fine)
- 1 large package/tub of #20 wood joiner biscuits (available at hardware/home improvement stores should be about $8)
- 1 large package/tub of #10 wood joiner biscuits (available at hardware/home improvement stores should be about $8)
- 1 large package/tub of #0 wood joiner biscuits (available at hardware/home improvement stores should be about $8)
- 4 oz bottle of gold paint
- 4 oz. bottle of ivory paint
- Small bottle or tube of raw umber paint
- Tacky Glue or similar adhesive product
Stitching and Stuffing Supplies
- 4 yards of heavy ivory canvas or (1) canvas painting drop cloth in the smallest size (Canvas drop cloths are available at home improvement stores)
- Heavy duty ivory thread
- Hand sewing needle (if you do not have a sewing machine)
- Sewing machine (if you have one)
- Polyester fiber stuffing (easily found at fabric stores)
- 1 tall candlestick holder as a stand for your wings
- Embroidery floss in your favorite colors + brown, cream, white, black
- Embroidery needles
- 1 sheet of felt in whatever color you want your bracelet to be (or a neutral color that you want to embroider your wings on)
- 1/4 yard of fabric to line your felt bracelet
What others are saying:
You must be logged in to leave a review.
Have questions about this class?
Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.