About this Course
Welcome Brave Girl!
Wings, wings, wings. We love wings and everything they symbolize--flight, capability, FREEDOM. In this course you will learn so much about making beautiful artwork featuring wings!
Starting with some basic shapes, we'll learn how to adapt them into beautiful wings. It's easier than you think! Melody will share some ideas for drawing winged hearts--one of her favorite designs to use in her art!
Along with wings come feathers! We think feathers are just beautiful. Watch as Melody will demonstrate her techniques for drawing many types of feathers... basic feathers, fluffy feathers, peacock feathers, and everything in between. Then, watch as Melody shares her "Be Free" wings doodle, and some ideas for YOUR doodles!
Next Melody will walk through a few different paintings featuring wings, and share her ideas for adding wings to your art pieces. As we have said before, our favorite part about wings is the symbolism. We all have wings, we all have capability and potential and power.
Finally, Melody will show us a couple collages--wings on a girl, and wings on a heart. Along the way, we'll learn tons of ways to implement paper, fabric, paint, and more into any collage. Enjoy!
About the instructor
I love being part of Brave Girls Club and sitting in this big worldwide circle of sisterhood....it has changed my life in all of the best ways. I am profoundly grateful for all of it, and I work hard to never take it for granted.
I'm an artist, teacher and entrepreneur. I have started and owned a few different companies and written many books. I have sold and licensed my art all around the world, which is what I had dreamed of doing since I was a little girl. In 2004, my husband sustained a traumatic brain injury which changed the direction of our lives dramatically and led me to my TRUE life's work.
Taking care of my husband and holding my family together while my business and the rest of my life fell apart all around me left me feeling broken in every way. I used art and journaling to heal the fragmented parts of my soul, and once I felt healed I wanted nothing more than to share what I had learned and how I had healed with my sisters all over the world. That's where Brave Girls Club came from...my curriculum is what I have used to heal myself and make my life joyful again.
I live in Star, Idaho where my husband and I have raised our 5 children. My husband made a miraculous full recovery which we consider a tremendous miracle that has prompted us to spend our life helping others out of the kinds of dark times we were in for so long. Our greatest treasure in life is our family, ...especially the grandchildren who have come to us! We plan to spend the rest of our lives doing more of what we are doing now....enjoying life, helping where we can, creating beauty, and spending as much time as possible with our beloveds...at home and all over the world. We appreciate every new day we are gifted with, and life is beautiful! So happy to be here with all of you!
You will need:
Drawing and Doodling Supplies
- Lots of regular white copy paper or a sketch book
- Pencil (I use a mechanical pencil)
- Eraser (a regular pink pearl is fine or there are nice drawing erasers too)
- Black fine line pen (I like Zig Writers with a dual tip)
- White, black & raw umber paint as well as 3 or 4 of your favorite beautiful colors
- Thick white gesso (if you can’t find thick, regular will work)
- Thick gel medium, glossy
- Texture paste or modeling paste
- 1 pad of thick watercolor paper or (6) 8x10 canvas boards for drawings + paintings + collages
- Several sizes of paint brushes, small to medium
- Scraps of favorite papers, fabrics, old book pages, doilies, trims, ephemera
- Collage sheets found in the provided PDF
- Mod Podge or collage medium (glossy or matte, your choice)
- Waxed paper (to insert between pages to prevent sticking)
- Old white taper candle or spray sealer
What others are saying:
You must be logged in to leave a review.
Have questions about this class?
Send them to email@example.com.